What We Talked about in class this week:
We talked about intellectual property.This is issue is closely related to other topic, security and safety. The idea of internet is pretty paradoxical itself: people want to share but not everything, there is a limit between sharing and privacy. In order to avoid this security violation aided by computers, people should create solid passwords,be sure to know the cooperation where downloading stuff from or divulging identifying information to, apply security patches to software, and avoid reading dubious email.
How do we define property then? A long time ago, people believe that the mixture of labor and nature is your property.However, raw materials are not unlimited, and sometimes, they are rather scarce. A human being is usually considered to be the owner of his/her body, having the right to use it as he/she will. Intellectual property , as a human being's thought, is recognized when the press industry was boomed. Computer and Internet doesn't change essence of copyright.Music, software with copyright usually requires payment depends on the person or organization with the ownership.Bill C-11 is enacted to increases penalties for some copyright infringement (like the DCMA), generally lower penalties, increase the scope of fair dealing, and introduce strong penalties for breaking digital locks (DRM).
My Feedback:
The computer or internet-related copyright issues are always interesting. Since modern technology copy software, music or movies so fast and easily, people don't bother to buy the expensive original copy. I tend to download music a lot (in China it is legal). Now I realize they are someone's ideas, intellectual property. If we infringe it, it is the same as stealing or robing a cell phone or wallet from the owner.
What I think about CSC104 at the end of school year:
Basically, it is a pleasure to take this course. Danny is funny and obviously enthusiastic about what he is doing.He likes helping students with all he has, so does my TA, Orion. I don't feel like stupid when I ask questions. I am now fairly familiar with DrRacket, I learned definitions, aggregation, recursion,creating events. It can be my calculator and Photoshop.Sometimes I just like to mess with it randomly.I am also exposed to a bunch of information about the history of computing and computers.If I didn't take this course, I might never know how early computers look like and how computers operate and take orders. Moreover,it is a great experience to struggle for completing a difficult project with a friend. we developed very intimate friendship. simultaneously, my problem solving skills get improved a lot.
Bye Bye CSC104. Bye Bye Danny.Bye Bye Orion.Thank you all for making my first year a great one! But I won't say goodbye to computer, since I will definitely explore and learn more and more.
The fact that you like "messing randomly" is wonderful --- that is exactly the right sort of attitude.
ReplyDelete