This week I learned the steps to solve a problem. Take the classic paper-folding example, first step is to understand the problem: "Given the number of folds, figure out the crease pattern." It is important to know that the crease pattern means whether the lines made by paper folding are up or down. Then we need to devise a plan, like "try small cases and look for a pattern". Then execute the plan, and look back. In the first class, when professor brought up this question, I had no clue what he was talking about, the core issue was misunderstanding of the word "crease".After asking my neighbor,I finally figured it out.
I also learned the evolution of computers and programs. The history of computers can be traced back to 5 thousands years ago, the ancient tally system: clay tablets and abacuses.The number system Hindu-Arabic in ancient world uses positional notation.
In machine age, there arises gears to extract taxes, called Pascaline. During industrial revolution, French inventor Jacquard invented Jacquard loom that could automatically weave complicated patterns. Babbage difference engine would have evaluated polynomials if the fund was adequate.All those inventions and progresses lead to our computers today.
Reflection about my study method:
I think it is important to get out the shell and ask for help actively. I used to be ashamed of my inadequate English and tried to hide it by keeping silent when encounter problems, now I realize that the more you hide, the less likely you will ever improve.
Questions and Challenges:
However, even I can digest the general information, I can't understand
analog computers model wold using smoothly-varying quantities such as water", what is analog computers model? And why is it "smoothly-varying"? Hope my knowledgeable TA can help me out.
My achievement:
I also learned another interesting function of DrRacket, which is designing definition. I can handle the basic operation such as defining identifiers to stand for values,defining a function with a place-holder for a value used repeatedly.
Friendly remainder for everyone:
One important remainder for everyone especially myself -- always check your email -- because I don't know my tutorial room changed from MP to BA, I missed my tutorial...True story.
No comments:
Post a Comment